Tuesday, May 25, 2010

New Journey: Part 1-Moving forward

Hey everyone, I have been meaning to write this blog for a while now, and being that I have only one more full day left in Fresno, I thought, what better time then this to write this blog. I have said before, what I want (what God is calling me) to do-work in Los Angeles as a Christian. Before I go on i must provide some backstory.

The idea of being a missionary in Hollywood, was always in the back of my mind, but I never really thought it was an option. But after reading the book "Behind the Screen" (which I found hidden in the shelves at Berean bookstore) this idea of working in Hollywood as a missionary became more in the front of my mind. This book, written by Christian professionals in the film/television industry, encouraged me to think about doing the same thing. Christians are often like "Hollywood, run away". Many Christians view Hollywood as the center of sin. Not that this is not true, but sin is everywhere we go, and describes everything we are: but running away is not the answer. Hollywood NEEDS people like us, who serve the LORD, to be a voice to the nation and the group of people in our world who are so apt to shun Hollywood because of its practices. It's a lost place. So as I continued reading the words these men and women wrote, about, how the need for Christians in Hollywood is important and encouraging those with the passion for film and television to come to HOllywood, I knew i needed to start praying and considering this option.

Fast forward to the Spring of 2007. I had read this book a couple times, and the opportunity to go on an overseas mission trip with my church was given to me. After much prayer and the outcome of other opportunities, I realized God had called me to go on this trip. (He shut the doors to other decisions, hence opening the missions door.) I prayed that He would show me what He wanted me to see and learn what He'd have me learn when I was overseas. I prayed that he would give me an open heart and mind to whatever He chose to happen and whatever He chose to teach me. Now, I can't go into detail of everything I learned, another blog perhaps, but in a gist, through this trip I realized that although this trip taught me alot and helped me learn about missions worldwide, this was not where the Lord was calling me. Through this trip I learned that the idea of missions in Hollywood, was where the Lord wants me to be.

Now, it is May 2010. Almost two years have passed since my trip, and I have graduated from college with a Bachelor's Degree in Theatre Arts:Design/Technology with and emhasis in Costume Design. And I am moving back to Orange County on Wednesday. I know where I am headed, I just need to remember to keep the Lord as my focus. As my reason for living. So I hope you all would pray that I can be proactive in finding a church and getting plugged in to a fellowship immediately, because that was one of the problems I had last time I lived down there. And that was not as permanent as this decision is. So finding a church will be of utter importance and priority. As for where I want to go, I have an idea, but the Lord may have a completely different will, and I pray that I will be open to what He wants me to do. I plan on moving forward in the direction I feel he's calling me, And I hope to keep you all updated consistently on what is going on as i start this new chapter in my life. (I planned on writing something totally related but different in this post, but I guess that will have to wait til next time. So stay tuned for part 2.)

To come in part 2: excerpts from writings, and encouragement and more in-depth explanation of, "Why Hollywood"

No comments: