Thursday, November 25, 2010

Late Night Drive with God part 1: Finding Joy in the unknown

So, while I was driving home on late Tuesday night, after 8 hours of working for the mouse, I had a lot of time to reflect, and pray and spend time with God. Usually I'd just blast my tunes and drive all the way through. But this trip started different. I always pray before I hit the road, for protection etc. =D But the difference with this trip, was I didn't stop praying.

I prayed for two hours of my drive, and for the rest of the trip I drove in silence for almost the whole trip. So this blog is gonna have two topics. Silence and Joy in the unknown.

First, I find that driving at night is way more preferable than driving during the day. It's more relaxing, less stressful, peaceful. There aren't as many cars, but I realized this is because you can't see everything ahead of you. Not being able to see more than a mile or less ahead of you keeps one's mind at ease. When I realized this, I came to realize that God and faith is the same way. Let me explain. Too often we worry about the future, we look too far ahead, and we get stressed out, depressed, etc. But if we live one day at a time, we'd be much more joyful. =D I think that by looking too far ahead we get weary. Whereas we should more often stop, and just think about the day at hand, or even the task at hand. For the word even says "Do not worry about your life, for each day has enough trouble of it's own." So next time the future distresses you, take a pause and just think about the uncertainty that lies ahead, but find joy in the unknown. Nothing is certain, we can plan things, but nothing is definite. Remember that as well.

Second,

Silence.

Silence is in fact golden. I touched on this in my last post, but we don't value silence enough. And when I say silence, I don't just mean not talking. True silence means, no talking, no texting, no IMing, etc. We often become consumed with being in constant communication with the world, that we don't know what true silence is. Complete silence. Just listening to God speak to you. True communication with the one and only one who is worthy of our full focus and attention. For example, I sat in complete silence, not even praying out loud for a portion of my drive. And at 2 am, I was wide awake, driving in silence, listening to the wind pound against my car. This would normally terrify me, but not this night. All was silent, I could hear the cars driving by, and just the natural sounds, and I was able to think "Lord, your power is mighty, this wind, that would normally scare me, is not tonight, because I know that it is only you. Your power, you showing us your power and might. Your awesome power. That can move mountains." So I did not tremble, but instead felt filled with His presence at 2 am, wind blowing hard against my car. It was only He who can command the wind. Why should I fear in this situation. The Lord is good and awesome. Worthy of all praise, and that's what I felt in this drive. I felt thankful for His presence. I did not feel alone, I had a drive with my Heavenly Father, and it was so good! He is sooo good! I hope you all remember that today. :-) Even if you have no other time to be in complete silence, I recommend utilizing the "no texting" law and turn off your radio, and meditate in silence. Because if you have no other time to meditate, those are the best times, because we all drive. Almost everyday. =D Happy Thanksgiving, May we all count our blessings and give praise to the Father who we are here to serve. =D

No comments: